Thank you to all of this week’s volunteers that have taken their lunch breaks or skipped the gym or put off errands or anything else to help us teach our students about recycling. We have learned a lot from our first week. Based on our new-found knowledge we would really like to set up 5 stations around the cafeteria so that the recycling lines are short. Long lines means impatient kids dump everything in the trash.
To accomplish this we need 5 volunteers to man each station every day for the next two weeks. After that, the kids should know enough to know what is recyclable, what is compost and what is trash.
What can you do to help?
1. Please sign up for at least one shift to monitor a station. Lunch begins at 11:20 and ends at 1:30. Please take time out of your very busy schedule to spend one day helping out.
2. Review with your kids the recycling procedures:
- Dump excess milk in the white bin and then milk carton in recycling.
- All plastic including forks, spoons, bowls, salad containers, bottles, applesauce containers, etc are recyclable
- Paper is recyclable
- Styrofoam trays and bowls are trash.
- Juice pouches (Carpi Sun) are trash.
- half eaten fruits and veggies go in composting bin
- uneaten, unopened food goes on cart
3. Remind your students that we are leaving the Earth to them so the less trash we create now, the better off they will be. We are doing this for them.
Thank you in advance for helping with this very worthwhile venture.